Dan Marino is suing the NFL with nearly 5,000 other NFL players over concussions and long-term neurological harm. The former Miami Dolphins star, along with 14 other retired NFL players, joined together to file a lawsuit on May 28, 2014 in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
The 18-page complaint alleges the NFL concealed information about football-related brain injuries and misled players, claims that are similar to those made in more than 300 related lawsuits. The NFL has repeatedly denied such claims.
Each player submitted a brief complaint with standard language saying they suffer from brain injuries and exhibit symptoms that have developed over time.
Marino’s short form complaint does not contain any specific references to injuries or problems he has suffered as a result of concussions when he played for the Dolphins.
Now, according to a source, Dan Marino, 52-years old, and his lawyers will be in discussions to withdraw from the lawsuit that was filed in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia.
Marino and his lawyers are attempting to discover how Marino’s name was joined to the lawsuit, according to the report.
“It was never Marino’s intention to initiate litigation in this case, but to ensure that in the event he had adverse health consequences down the road, he would be covered with health benefits. They are working to correct the error,” a source said to the Sun-Sentinel.
Dan Marino spent 17 seasons with the Miami Dolphins and retired after the 1999 season. He spent 12 years as an analyst for CBS, working primarily on the pregame show, but recently lost his job from the network earlier this year.
There has been backlash about the timing of Marino joining the lawsuit and with his CBS job loss.
In a separate case, the NFL and a group of players agreed on a $765 million settlement in August 2013, but was put on hold as the judge has expressed concern that the financial package is not big enough.
“We continue to work at the direction of the Court and Special Master as they review the settlement agreement and rightfully ensure that all members of the class are protected,” Sol Weiss, one of Marino’s attorneys, and Chris Seeger, the other co-lead counsel, said in a statement provided to the Times. “We look forward to finalizing this agreement so that former players can soon begin taking advantage of its benefits.”
Dan Marino Files Concussion Lawsuit Against NFL
Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino is among the latest group of football players to file a concussion-related lawsuit against the National Football League.
Dan Marino Sues, Then Exits, NFL Concussion Suit
NFL Hall of Famer Dan Marino became the first high-profile player to join the concussion lawsuit being waged against the NFL. He is now considering withdrawing his lawsuit.
New Lawsuit Against the NFL
Star players say they were fed drugs to play through serious injuries.