Connect with us

Science

NASA Opens Space Station For Commercial Business To Fund Artemis Mission In 2025

[bctt tweet=”NASA is offering trips to the ISS public and commercial use to increase funding for Artemis mission 2024.” username=”Z6Mag”]

Photo by NASA on Unsplash

Published

on

ad1

The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) is looking towards other means of gaining capital in their ambitious mission of launching American astronauts back to the Moon and farther by offering trips to the space station to the public.

The ambitious mission, codenamed Artemis, is set to launch in 2025—a little over five years from today—and NASA needs to accomplish its set of checklists before proceeding with the lift-off. However, the mission requires NASA to shell out a significant capital to do so.

Previously, President Donald Trump has allocated a total budget of $1.6 billion to NASA to get the wheels moving on the Artemis mission, but as critics have pointed out, $1.6 billion will be way under budget to carry the entire mission through.

NASA announces that the International Space Station will be open to commercial business. “[NASA] is opening the International Space Station to commercial opportunities and marketing these opportunities as we’ve never done before,” chief financial officer Jeff DeWit said in New York.

The new opportunity would allow privately trained astronauts to access lower space orbit and into the International Space Station for a maximum of 30 days. Moreover, there will be up to two short private astronaut missions per year, said Robyn Gatens, the deputy director of the ISS.

“US industry innovation and ingenuity can accelerate a thriving commercial economy in low-Earth orbit,” NASA writes in a statement.

The new venture for space tourism will come at hefty prices starting at $55 million for a roundtrip ticket for flights from the Earth to the ISS. Moreover, NASA also indicated that hotel prices aboard the ISS will also come at a hefty price of $35,000 per night.

The concept of space tourism is fairly new and still on the verge of making a breakthrough to truly allow public access to space. Supplementarily, NASA opening the ISS for commercial purposes won’t exactly yield a handful of random people to board space rockets just for the sake of site seeing—the NASA space trips would most likely comprise of allowing commercial businesses to develop their own technology and experiments in relation to space activities, which would help further NASA’s own research as well.

In addition, the space agency said in a statement that it is partnering with 11 companies to create 14 commercial facilities to aid in research and development projects. Furthermore, it would help take said research from over 50 companies who have already been conducting commercial research and development on the space station which is currently limited to the International Space Station U.S. National Laboratory.

Particularly, Bigelow Aerospace, a Las Vegas-based company, announced on Tuesday that its subsidiary Bigelow Space Operations has “paid substantial sums as deposits and reservation fees” to fly four tourists at a time aboard the said missions.

In NASA’s announcement Friday, the commercial space trips would launch as early as 2020 aboard U.S. spacecraft developed under NASA’s Commercial Crew Program. These spacecraft will have crew capsules developed from either Elon Musk’s Space X crew capsule coined Dragon or Boeing’s upcoming crew capsule.

Private companies have been working with NASA to collaborate on developing technology on making space tourism a possibility and ultimately help NASA send the first woman and the next man on the Moon in 2024.

Recently, Space X has successfully tested its human crew capsule, Dragon, under NASA’s supervision but only with a test dummy. An official human test flight aboard Dragon would be foreseeable in 2020. On the other hand, British billionaire Richard Branson’s Virgin Galactic has successfully made a quick roundtrip on Earth’s lower orbit with three passengers—a woman named Beth Moses being one of the passengers. These tests would come in handy alongside NASA’s ISS commercial initiative.

On other news, commercial companies are also contributing to NASA’s Artemis mission by providing tech tests such as moon landers.

“Our selection of these U.S. commercial landing service providers represents America’s return to the Moon’s surface for the first time in decades, and it’s a huge step forward for our Artemis lunar exploration plans,” said NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine. ”Next year, our initial science and technology research will be on the lunar surface, which will help support sending the first woman and the next man to the Moon in five years. Investing in these commercial landing services also is another strong step to build a commercial space economy beyond low-Earth orbit.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Space

Hawaii space observatories reopen after weeks of shutting down

TMT would be a spectacular instrument for space observation but continues to face protests against its construction

Published

on

Photo by Daniel Gregoire on Unsplash
ad1

Astronomers at the Mauna Kea observatories can finally return to work after a grueling 4-week pause due to ongoing protests against the construction of a mega observatory called the Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT).

Mauna Kea, the tallest mountain in the world from base to peak, offers clear views of the night sky because of its dark skies from lack of light pollution, good astronomical seeing, low humidity, high elevation of 4,205 meters (13,796 ft), position above most of the water vapor in the atmosphere, clean air, good weather and low latitude location. All of these characteristics place the mountain top as a nearly ideal location to observe the universe by national and international scientists alike.

Although the 13,800-foot summit is already considered home for thirteen different observatories, Hawaiian locals and elders have been adamant to the construction of TMT, arguing that the land is sacred and putting a colossal of infrastructure over the land tarnishes it.

Over the past four weeks, protesters by the thousands have been flocking and creating a human barricade that literally blocked the access ways to the other observatories on top, forcing astronomers to take a mandatory leave from their work.

Astronomers around the world compete for valuable time on the telescopes, and since the observatories closed, the scientists have canceled over 2,000 hours of observational time, according to an outlet. Additionally, this has been considered as the longest shutdown since the location’s five-decade history.

“It was very far-reaching,” says Sarah Bosman of University College London, who lost 3 nights of time to observe distant galaxies with the twin W. M. Keck Observatory telescopes. “Every area of astronomy was affected by this.”

Fortunately, state authorities brokered the deal with the protesters to allow current astronomers access to the observatories and said that construction of a temporary roadway will be built across hardened lava around the protesters’ camp on the summit access road.

Additionally, law enforcement will give protesters an advanced list of all vehicles going up and down to show that they are not associated with TMT.

Apparently, protesters began to gather on the main road leading up to the observatories on July 15, the week in which construction on the site for TMT was supposed to begin.

Significantly, the protesters who gathered at the base of Mauna Kea on Hawaii’s Big Island include indigenous Hawaiian elders, or “kupuna” and has swelled dramatically as the controversy sparked support from the online community.

Despite polls suggesting that Hawaiian were in favor of the construction of TMT, the online community has attracted support from significant figures such as actors Dwayne Johnson and Jason Momoa—who both visited the protest site—and Democratic presidential hopeful Elizabeth Warren. 

TMT is touted to be a $1.4 billion project that aims to provide one of the biggest lenses in the world attached to an observatory, in order to provide better tools to help astronomers study the universe.

Scientists have been sketching the plans for such an instrument as far back as the 1990s, and a global consortium of scientists led by the U.S. and Canada completed the TMT design in 2009. The TMT project would also be the largest telescope in the Northern Hemisphere.

The telescope would be built with support from Canada, China, India, and Japan; a consortium of U.S. universities and international organizations, which will own and operate TMT like many of the observatories operating on Mauna Kea.

However, every step towards the construction of the observatory was met with legal battles ensued by protesters ever since its groundbreaking ceremony in 2014. After nearly a decade of the legal debacle, Hawaii’s Supreme Court ruled in favor of the construction in August 2018, which prompted protesters to take a more active stand against it.

Manua Kea itself has been a flashpoint for controversy ever since the University of Hawaii opened the first telescope there in 1970. Opponents of TMT continue to push the sacred value of the land and also pointed out the mismanagement of the University of Hawaii on the mountaintop observatories. Protesters have also involved other issues with the construction such as Hawaiian nationalism, self-determination, and land rights.

“TMT should build their observatory in their own ancestral lands, not in mine,” says Lilikalā Kameʻeleihiwa, a senior professor at the University of Hawaii’s Hawaiʻinuiākea School of Hawaiian Knowledge. “Imagine if TMT were to put its five-acre monstrosity on top of Notre Dame or the Vatican. How would the French or Italians feel? Would they not protest?”

However, astronomers urge that TMT would be a valuable instrument for human society. It would be able to help astronomers to discover more with what the universe has in store.

“In our lifetime, we could discover life — evidence of life — off the Earth, which would be one of the biggest things [that have] ever happened in science,” says Michael Bolte, an astronomer at the University of California, Santa Cruz, and a member of the TMT board.

Continue Reading

Space

Asteroid nearly hit Earth, and we barely noticed

It’s as big as the one that wiped out dinosaurs.

Published

on

Asteroid nearly hit Earth
Source: Pixabay
ad1

A potentially disastrous asteroid merely brushed past Earth, according to a former presidential consultant — noting that the asteroid was massive enough and was similar to the one that wiped out the dinosaurs.

The warning was delivered by Douglas McKinnon who served in the White House under Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush. In July, an asteroid 2019 OK, nicknamed “city killer,” was shot within 40,000 miles away from Earth.

Writing in The Hill, McKinnon said: “Thanks to the collective failure of our world leaders, our only defense today against such an event is dumb luck. On this issue, every leader around the world is in gross dereliction of duty to the people they purport to lead.”

Furthermore, McKinnon urged that world leaders should stop turning a blind eye from the potentially deadly risks and not only put their focus and energy with what’s here on the Earth’s surface but also what lies from the beyond.

Scientists failed to detect 2019 OK until it was close to Earth noting that the sun obscured the asteroid. According to McKinnon, NASA has a record of missing asteroids less than 500 feet long.

He claims one of these could “wipe out a city, a region or a small country and kill millions in the process.”

The former Presidential advisor commented: “So far, only the fickle whims of the universe have prevented the unimaginable. But soon our luck could run out, and Earth will be shaken to its core. President Trump and all world leaders should immediately focus on solutions.”

However, scientist Neil deGrasse Tyson says large space rocks, like the 1990 MU, which measures almost 5 miles in diameter, should not phase us. Instead, the American astrophysicist has insisted the public should be more concerned about smaller asteroids that have the potential to sneak under the radar unnoticed.

Appearing on a Joe Rogan podcast last year, Dr. Tyson explained how it is easy to defend Earth against threats we can easily see.

He said: “It’s all about how much timing we have, what you want to do is go out and nudge it. You just have to give it a sideways velocity relative to its path towards Earth. If you do that, the sideways velocity sort of accumulates and the angle grows.”

In other words, Tyson says that to avoid getting hit by an asteroid hurtling towards Earth, all we need to do is go out into space and plan a method that would knock it off its course; big enough that when it nears our planet, it would completely miss.

“If you do that early enough it will miss Earth, but it’s still out there to harm you on another day,” he said. Additionally, we would at least be able to create such a device in 10 years or so.

However, the Harvard University graduate offered more dim prospects for smaller asteroids, arguing that the good thing about asteroids — big enough to wipe out entire species — is that they are large and visible. In consequence, NASA or any other space agency will only detect the relatively smaller, yet city-killing ones too late and would smash right into our planet.

Notably, most of the Earth’s surface is comprised of water, so most probably, it would hit the ocean instead of directly hitting cities. However, that does not technically mean that the human species would completely be out of harm’s way.

Tyson warned in 2008 that in the event where an asteroid crashes into the Pacific Ocean, it would create a hole with a depth of three miles, at which point it explodes, creating an even wider hole in the Pacific in a hole that’s approximately three miles wide.

“Oceans don’t like having holes in them, so this three-mile-high wall does what? It collapses. It falls back into the hole sloshing against itself with such ferocity that it rises high into the atmosphere and falls back down to the ocean, caveating it again,” he said, adding that “this cycle takes about 50 seconds, you can calculate it.”

That result will be a massive tsunami wave outwards from that location that is 50 feet high. “It’s April 12, 2029, and if it threads the keyhole it will hit Earth on April 13, 2036,” Tyson said.

Continue Reading

Space

Rocket Lab postponed Electron launch

Launch re-scheduled on Monday, August 19, 2019.

Published

on

Source: Rocket Lab
ad1

Rocket Lab, a commercial space company, postponed the launch of one of its Electron rockets due to unfavorable weather conditions but is set to place another launch within the next few days. 

According to the Huntington Beach, California-based company, the launch of an Electron rocket was postponed due to high winds at their New Zealand launch site on Friday, August 16.

Rocket Lab initially hoped to launch the Electron’s mission, called “Look Ma, No Hands” from the Māhia Peninsula during a 100-minute window that opened at 8:57 a.m. EDT if ground winds were not too strong. 

“We are standing down from today’s launch attempt due to weather. Surface level winds are 30% over limit,” Rocket Lab representatives wrote in a Twitter update. “We have plenty of back up opportunities in the coming days though. A new target launch day/time will be advised soon.”

If the launch took place and with mother nature’s forgiving weather, Rocket Lab’s Electron rocket would have carried four small satellite launch segments called CubeSats.

Rocket Lab, which was founded back in 2006, offers commercial flights into space via payload delivery such as satellite launches for private companies, which Rocket Lab markets at $5 million per flight. Its Electron rocket has already delivered satellites into space for paying clients. Electron’s latest payload includes CubeSat satellite deliveries for UnseenLabs, Blacksky Global-4, and the US Air Force Space Command. 

French company UnseenLabs asked Rocket Lab to install an ocean-monitoring CubeSat, which aims to build a network of “maritime surveillance” satellites for their customers.

Meanwhile, another Earth-imaging satellite was upon the request of Seattle-based BlackSky Global-4, which aims to add a CubeSat to their growing satellite network.

The final two CubeSats are prototypes built for the U.S. Air Force Space Command to test new technologies in orbit. 

They will serve as an “on-orbit testbed for emerging technologies in 2019,” Air Force officials said in a statement.  The launch of the BlackSky satellite and Air Force CubeSats were arranged by the space rideshare company Spaceflight.

“The demonstration will test new technologies including propulsion, power, communications and drag capabilities for potential applications on future spacecraft,” Air Force officials said. The two satellites were built by Tiger Innovations Inc. in Herndon, Virginia and should last about a year in orbit.

Now, Rocket Lab is targeting another launch date on Monday (August 19) at 8:12 a.m. EDT (1212 GMT). The company has a 14-day window to launch the mission.

If the August 19 launch becomes successful, it will mark the eighth flight of a Rocket Lab Electron in total. 

Specifically, Electron is a two-stage orbital expendable launch vehicle, with an optional third stage that is developed to cover the commercial CubeSats satellites. Its Rutherford engines, manufactured in California, are the first electric-pump-fed engine to power an orbital rocket.

An electric-pump-fed engine is a bipropellant rocket engine in which the fuel pumps are electrically powered, and so all of the input propellants is directly burned in the main combustion chamber, and none is diverted to drive the pumps. This differs from traditional rocket engine designs, in which the pumps are driven by a portion of the input propellants.

Furthermore, the booster is a 57-foot tall (15 meters) spacecraft that is designed to launch small satellites into low-Earth orbit. The rocket can carry payloads of up 500 lbs. (227 kilograms), and can haul multiple CubeSats at a time. 

Rocket Lab first deployed its rocket in May of 2017, which reached space but was not able to reach orbit due to a glitch in the communication equipment on the ground. On its second orbit-reaching flight on January 2018, the company was also able to deploy three of its first CubeSats in space.

The company, later on, launched commercial flights for other companies and institutions in November 2018.

Unlike SpaceX, another commercial space flight provider, Rocket Lab doesn’t currently recover and reuse its rockets. However, the company wants to change this and be able to reuse rockets for more efficient and affordable options.

The company recently announced a reusability roadmap for its Electron launch vehicles, which includes a mid-air recovery effort that will see a helicopter snag the first stage of the Electron rocket as a mid-air retrieval method, saving it from damage and allowing engineers to refurbish it for future launches.

You can watch the launch directly from Rocket Lab’s live stream website. The webcast will begin about 15 minutes before launch time. 

Continue Reading

Trending