How Tech Companies Affect Communities In Places They Call ‘Home’

Silicon Valley

Tech companies are today’s driving forces in the economic world, mostly because of the introduction of the Internet. It allows a plethora of companies to create products and services, which they can communicate to, interact with, and ultimately, make sales across a very far-reaching and diverse audience.

Give or take, tech companies can easily crash and burn, but they can also quickly soar like rockets blasting off to space, and when they do, it happens so fast that the community around them would hardly even notice.

The general idea about tech companies revolves around the notion of success and the opportunities that come along with it. When a particular product or service is excellent, everybody knows it’s going to grow big, and it’s going to grow fast. Furthermore, successful tech companies bring in more jobs, and overall, strengthens the community it calls home.

However, there is a general misconception with tech companies; where all they bring are good tiding for the community around them. People or even the media hardly talk about the adverse effects these companies bring into the lives of the communities in which they decide to reside. That is, of course, until it’s too blatant to neglect.

In a very public demonstration, we have seen Amazon pull up a beauty pageant of sorts across all the cities in North America. They called it a search for the location of their second headquarters; we call it blatant capitalistic greed that aims to take advantage of the government’s resources and bend political will into their favor.

During the fiasco that was New York’s Long Island City, government officials were torn between giving Amazon the $3 billion project that it was asking, including a helipad, or refuse because of the tech giant’s reputation for going against worker’s unionization and other workplace misconducts.

Nonetheless, most New Yorkers were like horses to a carrot with Amazon’s bait of an additional 25,000 jobs and billions of dollars in taxes for the government. If you think about it, $3 billion was a dollar compared to what they would have gotten in return. However, the way Jeff Bezos’, the richest man in the world with over a hundred billion dollars in his name, wanted to offer the deal was outright out of blind greed as he could have easily afforded to build their HQ2.

On other news, Seattle is rivaling for the crown of America’s next Silicone Valley with the big tech having its headquarters in the city. Seattle’s also becoming a hub for tech startups.

According to a GeekWire report, Seattle supports 165,264 high tech software and services jobs, representing 42% of all office jobs in the city. Some of the United States’ most significant and most influential tech firms call Seattle home or are significant employers in the area, including Amazon (approximately 40,000 people), Microsoft (around 45,000), Accenture (over 1,200) and Google (over 2,000).

Due to the success of tech giants, the city has attracted more than 105,000 new residents since 2010, a population increase of 16 percent.

From the point of view, a very far end, you could see that people who work for tech companies have amazing job locations with beautifully laden landscaping, gleaming buildings, and an excellent payroll. But, you won’t get to see the average person who hardly works for tech such as a cleaner or entirely doesn’t work or tech at all.

In a report by the NBC, they stated that Seattle’s having a significant problem with housing. Specifically for people who don’t make enough money to afford them, at least in their city.

Quick-to-grow tech companies have given the residents a whiplash and could hardly adjust to how much the city is changing as more and more people flock the state for job opportunities, specifically, how real estate has drastically increased over the years.

As a summary, real estate functions mainly out of demand. So, when more and more people want a piece of land, the price for the chunk goes higher and higher. With fast-growing cities like Seattle, this could easily pose as a problem for people who still work with low to medium-income salaries.

Tech companies aren’t the ones mainly at fault, but it cannot be denied that this is simply an unavoidable circumstance from the situation. They may have helped 42% of the workforce, but let’s not forget about the rest of the 58%.

In conclusion, tech companies are not the spawn of evil, but nor they are the best thing that could ever happen to a community. There are pros and cons to every situation; it’s just worthy to note that people shouldn’t be blinded by big promises so quickly.

Be the first to comment on "How Tech Companies Affect Communities In Places They Call ‘Home’"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.