Fox News host, Sean Hannity, is accused of talking to President Donald Trump almost daily. This accusation, and for some other obvious reasons, led to the disqualification of Fox News to host any 2020 Democratic Presidential primary debates.
The Democratic National Committee announced on Wednesday that the said TV network is having a close relationship with the current administration. From the statement of DNC Chair, Tom Perez, he cited that being in an inappropriate relationship with President Trump may result in bias and one-sided debate for all the candidates. “Therefore, Fox News will not serve as a media partner for the 2020 democratic debates,” added Perez.
The committee’s decision comes after ties between Trump’s administration, and Fox News were highlighted on the reports of New Yorker, citing that the network may have hinted Trump off about a tough question from Megyn Kelly. Also, the 2016 debate resurfaced including an issue about Fox repressing a story of Trump’s affair with
When NBC News asked Kelly about the allegations, she immediately reacted and believed that Trump had not been warned about the question and former Fox News digital editor, Ken LaCorte, said on Twitter that he ended the Daniels story because it lacked supporting facts and proved no basis at all.
The article also revived past reports that Trump always had a conversation with Fox News personality Sean Hannity on an almost daily basis. It complains that Trump has done consecutive interviews with Hannity compared to anyone else as President. It went on to describe the exclusive access and discussions that members of the White House get on the network.
The claim heightened when proof of the President and Hannity’s closeness is revealed after the President pulled him on stage at a rally in Missouri last November.
Perez, on the other hand, believes that a critical pathway to victory is to continue to expand the electorate and reach all voters in the country, which is why he had been negotiating with the network. However, recent reports and allegations made him decide that Fox should not host the upcoming debate.
In a statement from Fox News Senior Vice President, Bill Sammon, he is still hoping that DNC and its management would reconsider and choose some of the network’s most highly regarded journalists such as Chris Wallace, Bret Baier, as well as, Martha MacCallum all of whom embody the journalistic integrity and professionalism, as the moderators of the event. For the Vice President, they are the best debate team in the business and would offer each candidate the opportunity to present their cases to the largest TV News audience in America.
President Trump also responded to the announcement saying that he may refuse to participate in a particular debate. ‘I think I’ll do the same thing with the Fake News Networks and the Radical Left Democrats in the General Election debates!’ he replied in a Twitter post.
Trump is known for criticizing CNN and MSNBC among other media as ‘Fake News’ for their coverage of his administration. Trump, a Republican is seeking re-election in 2020 and publicly feuds through his Twitter and Television speeches against prominent Democrats.
Following the disqualification, DNC announced last month that NBC News, MSNBC and Telemundo will be hosting the first 2020 Presidential primary debate in June. The said debate is going to be held over two consecutive nights in prime time, given the size of the field.
The field of competition tightens as to who will be the next Presidential nominee of the Democrats. The party has decided to split its first primary debate into two weeknights this summer. Twelve people have already jumped into the race, and DNC has divided each debate night at 20 candidates.
The DNC’s decision mirrored those of 2016 primary election, where it turned down Fox’s multiple offers to host a debate quoting the network’s age-old conservative bent and noticeable criticisms against the Democrats. At that time, a Democrat, Barack Obama, occupied the office.
As of now, the party’s primary topic to argue for will be different from the last round of debates when only less than half a dozen politicians appeared. The promise of the incoming debate will undoubtedly improve television viewership and people’s opinion on a particular candidate after hearing their side on specific issues that the country is currently facing.