R. Kelly Surrendered For A New Set Of Sexual Abuse Charges

R. Kelly Surrendered For A New Set Of Sexual Abuse ChargesR. Kelly's booking photo after he surrendered for a new set of sexual assault charges against him. Photo courtesy of Chicago Police Department

‘I Believe I Can Fly’ singer and R&B superstar Robert Kelly, more famously known as R. Kelly, surrendered himself to Chicago police on Friday after prosecutors charged him with ten counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse.

The charges were pressed against the singer for allegedly sexually assaulting four different victims, where three of them are minors.

The development in the Kelly case came after a Chicago judge signed a no-bail arrest warrant against the 52-year old musician-producer, who for decades have faced multiple allegations of child pornography, sex with minors, operating a sex cult and sexual battery.

R. Kelly’s sexual accusations are one of the turning points of Hollywood’s #MeToo movement.

Kelly surrendered to Chicago police at approximately 8:15 p.m. (0215 GMT) and was taken into custody. He will appear in court tomorrow afternoon, a police spokesman said.

Kim Foxx, the state attorney for Cook County, told reporters that the alleged crimes took place between 1998 and 2010. A court clerk had earlier told AFP that nine of the charges involve minors with ages between 13 and 16.

Foxx said that felony charges carry three fo seven years of prison per count. That means R. Kelly is possible to be jailed for thirty to seventy years if all counts are ruled against him.

After being booked, R. Kelly’s lawyer Steve Greenberg vowed to ‘vindicate’ the singer saying that he thinks that ‘all of the women are lying.’ He further dismissed the cases by saying that they were based on old and false accusations.

“Everybody’s trying to profit off of R. Kelly,” he added.

An arraignment was scheduled for March 8 in Chicago, where he resides, a Cook County clerk said earlier.

The victims were scheduled to speak with the US Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, said Gloria Allred, lawyer to the victims.A division of the US Department of Homeland Security devoted to probing sex trafficking meanwhile has a team of dozens looking into alleged crimes against Kelly, according to The New Yorker magazine. /apr

About the Author

Al Restar
A consumer tech and cybersecurity journalist who does content marketing while daydreaming about having unlimited coffee for life and getting a pet llama. I also own a cybersecurity blog called Zero Day.

Be the first to comment on "R. Kelly Surrendered For A New Set Of Sexual Abuse Charges"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*