New York Man Dies in ER While Waiting 8 Hours for a Doctor

Man Dies in ER Waiting Room

A 30-year-old man died in a New York Emergency Room after waiting 8 hours to be seen.

John Verrier went to St. Barnabas Hospital’s Emergency Room Sunday night around 10 p.m. complaining about a rash. His vitals were taken and he was told to sit in the waiting room until his name was called. At 6:40 the next morning, he was found by a security guard, dead in a waiting room chair.

Saint Barnabas spokesman Steve Clark, said that Verrier was told to wait inside the ER itself but for some reason returned to the waiting room and took a seat.

Between 10 p.m. and 2 a.m., his name was called “two or three times” and he did not answer, Clark said.

Surveillance video from elsewhere in the hospital recorded Verrier alive and “moving” at 3:45 a.m., Clark said.

“Then after 6, when security did another pass, he was dead,” the hospital spokesman said. “His name was called several times on several occasions, and he did not respond,” Clark added, stressing that an in-house review found “all guidelines were met.”

“He was found stiff blue and cold. He was there for a while,” said a hospital worker. “He died because [there’s] not enough staff to take care of the number of patients we see each day. We need more staff at Saint Barnabas.”

A hospital spokesman says that “Per our policy and procedures, security checked on the patient and others. Video surveillance confirms that he was still active and moving around as late as 3:45 a.m. An internal review, the spokesman says has concluded that all hospital guidelines were met.”

Family members told ABC that Verrier, who has struggled with drug addiction but had been clean for months, was a victim of hospital negligence.

Verrier’s mother, Susan Verrier, told ABC more should have been done to help her son. “No one should sit in the waiting room that long,” she said. “I’m sorry, name calling over the loud speaker proves nothing, nothing.”

The New York State Department of Health is investigating the death, according to the station.

Man Dies in ER Waiting Room

John Verrier, 30, came into Saint Barnabas Hospital in the Bronx, complaining of a rash. Hospital officials say he was checked in and asked to wait. They say his name was called several times, but he didn’t answer. Eight hours later, he was found dead in the waiting room.

Related Stories:

Woman Dies After Dentist Visit From Legionnaires’ Disease
Marek Lapinski Dies from Cardiac Arrest While Getting Wisdom Teeth Removed
Man Dies At Arch In Utah Trying To Make World’s Largest Rope Swing

Be the first to comment on "New York Man Dies in ER While Waiting 8 Hours for a Doctor"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.