Connect with us

Arts & Entertainment

Barbara Walters Hospitalized After Fall While Attending Inauguration Party

Published

on

Barbara Walters Fell

The Inauguration festivities occurred this past weekend, which led to President Obama’s Inauguration address on Monday. As with most parties, something happens that causes some form of excitement to occur, though not always being positive. That is exactly what happened Saturday evening to one veteran newswoman as she became the focal point of a news story.

ABC’s longtime news personality, Barbara Walters had to be taken to the hospital after she fell and suffered a cut to her forehead.

Most people would consider Saturday evening’s to be the perfect time to have a party. Many people do not have to work on a Sunday, so anyone going to a party can stay late without worrying about getting up early the next day and go to work.

This past Saturday evening saw another party happening in the form of the Inauguration festivities leading up to President Obama’s speech on Monday. One characteristic of a party is that usually, something transpires that makes the evening memorable. That is exactly what happened Saturday evening during a pre-inauguration party at the residence of British Ambassador Peter Westmacott.

According to the New York Daily News, ABC’s Barbara Walters was at the party when she fell down a flight of stairs. The 83-year-old newswoman suffered a cut to her forehead and ended up being taken to a Washington D.C. hospital.

Network officials said she was taken there out of an abundance of caution. ABC News Senior Vice President Jeffrey Schneider said, “Barbara is alert and telling everyone what to do, which we all take as a very positive sign.” He also added that she underwent a full examination, was treated for her injuries and is remaining in the hospital under observation.

Unfortunately for Walters, she had been scheduled to be a part of ABC’s news coverage of President Barack Obama’s second-term inauguration, who is set to make a speech during the formal ceremonies on Monday.

Walters made history in 1976 when she became the first female network anchor to earn a $1 million salary. She went on to be vibrant for more than 30 years in the news business and continues to do so.

In 1997, she created the show called “The View” that continues to be a success along with her annual special “The 10 Most Fascinating People.” Walters also was a correspondent for ABC’s news magazine show “20/20” for two decades and makes an appearance on the show occasionally.

Walters underwent successful heart surgery in May of 2010 and returned to “The View” in September of the same year where she said that she was “fine.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Arts & Entertainment

It: Chapter 2 Takes A Darker Twist (New Trailer)

Mr. Pennywise has been waiting for the Loser Club and this time, he’s ready to terrorize them in much darker ways.

Published

on

Source: Warner Bros. Pictures

Amidst the bustling events in the 2019 Comic-Con: San Diego, Warner Bros., and New Line Cinema had their bubble with the adjacent “ScareDiego,” where they revealed the latest trailer for their upcoming horror film, It: Chapter 2.

The majority of the first trailer released last May offered a glimpse between the interaction of Beverly, played by Jessica Chastain — as she returns to her old home in Derry, Maine with the seemingly adorable Mrs. Kersh. That is until she says that “no one who dies here really dies” and turns into a monster in the dark.

The new trailer, however, ramps up the pace, intensity, and reveals. Featuring different scenarios, more characters, and dialogues that will surely help shape our imagination on what’s to come for It: Chapter 2 in September.

The latest installment to the horror franchise sees the Loser Club return to their creepy old home town of Derry, Maine precisely 27 years after their first gruesome encounter with the shape-shifting monster who often took the form of the evil clown, Mr. Pennywise (played by Bill Skarsgård).

Recalling the events from the first movie, It, in the end, the seven middle school children made a blood oath to return to their creepy hometown in 27 years to see if the demonic force known as Pennywise had risen from the depths of the sewers to terrorize a new generation of kids.

As the movie’s logline goes: “Because every 27 years evil revisits the town of Derry, Maine, It Chapter Two brings the characters—who’ve long since gone their separate ways—back together as adults, nearly three decades after the events of the first film.”

One thing is for sure: Mr. Pennywise is back, and he is back with a vengeance, as he was seemingly waiting for the Loser Club’s return. However, there’s something wrong with the original band of misfits who fought Mr. Pennywise: they don’t remember the traumatic events of their childhood — the summer of 1989 — where they spent it in the sewers fighting for their lives. 

“Something happens to you when you leave this town,” adult Mike Hanlon, now played by Isaiah Mustafa, says. “The farther away, the hazier it all gets. But for me, I never left. I remember all of it.”

The upcoming movie will feature the adult versions of the original seven kids. Now, there’s James McAvoy/Jaeden Lieberher as Bill, Jessica Chastain/Sophia Lillis as Beverly, Jay Ryan/Jeremy Ray Taylor as Ben, Isaiah Mustafa/Chosen Jacobs as Mike, James Ransone/Jack Dylan Glazer as Eddie, Andy Bean/Wyatt Oleff as Stanley, and Bill Hader/Finn Wolfhard as Richie.

The first It was a coming-of-age story about the power of friendship, but according to director Andy Muschietti, the second chapter is a lot darker as it explored the halls of “trauma” for the then-kids who experienced and lived Mr. Pennywise’s demise.

“We’ll discover things we didn’t know about the Losers that started that summer in 1989,” he said at New Line Cinema’s third annual ScareDiego presentation.

For Bill, who still feels a lot of guilt over his little brother Georgie’s death, that means reckoning with his “survivor’s trauma,” McAvoy said at the presentation. And for Beverly, she will have to confront the years of abuse she experienced as a child.

Based on the trailer, It: Chapter 2 will likely follow the formula from It—which made it into the record-breaking horror movie success that it is today. As we recall, It was a slow menace where Pennywise terrorized each of the kids in turn before climaxing into trapping them inside a creepy house as a group.

In the latest trailer, we get to see glimpses of that same pattern happen to each of the characters, but with the darker twist of involving their unresolved trauma as seen with McAvoy’s role in a window glass room with his little brother.

According to actress Jessica Chastain and director Andy Muschietti, who both spoke at “ScareDiego,” the horror sequel may set a record in the end for the most on-screen blood used in a single film. Over 4,500 gallons of fake blood were used during one particular scene, most of it on Chastain. She even said that she encouraged Muschietti to use more. “Let’s make Carrie on steroids,” she said.

Stephen King’s original It novel took place in 1957 and 1985, while the miniseries took place in 1960 and 1990. Chapter Two takes place 27 years after the events of the first chapter, which took place in 1989.

Continue Reading

Arts & Entertainment

Gossip Girl Is Making A Comeback Series

Manhattan’s teenage elites better watch their backs, Gossip Girl is officially announced to make a return on HBO’s upcoming streaming service.

Published

on

Photo: Cecilia Saia | Flickr | CC BY 2.0

Hey Upper East Siders, Gossip Girl is officially back. The freakishly omnipresent blogger is making a comeback in 2020 to watch over the lives of Manhattans’ elites.

WarnerMedia has sent to order the series for ten new hour-long episodes from the popular tv show for its upcoming streaming service, HBO Max.

The original Gossip Girl creators — the team of Joshua Safran, Stephanie Savage, and Josh Schwartz — are all returning to work on the new episodes that will loom over the lives of New York City’s teenage elites. There are also reports speculating a new Gossip Girl.

“It’s something we’ve been talking about — Josh, Stephanie and I — for a little bit, just in terms of, ‘Is this something we want to explore?’ We’re all so in love with the original and had such an incredible time working on it, and it’s such a big part of our lives,” Safran told THR

“Then the stars aligned and we had availability to jump, and Warners, obviously, it’s something they’re very passionate about. It seemed like the best time and also the best way to do it.”

As of the moment, there aren’t any reports if any of the formerly loved cast (Serena, Dan, Blair, Chuck, and Nate) would also be making a comeback in the upcoming Gossip Girl series. But one thing’s for sure: it will be a sequel to the original and will take on new characters with new drama all the while living the “elite problems” background.

The new series logline

“Eight years after the original website went dark, a new generation of New York private school teens are introduced to the social surveillance of Gossip Girl. The prestige series will address just how much social media — and the landscape of New York itself — has changed in the intervening years.”

If any of you Gossip Girl fans could remember, social media was pretty much in its earlier phase during the series. It is quite interesting that the new series will be focusing on how social media will shape the 2020 version, given that it is the gut of the entire series. According to Zoe Fox of Mashable, the show popularized social media networks and mobile communication, becoming “a pioneer in its use of mobile.”

“It’s just a new look at this particular society in New York, the idea being that society changes constantly,” Safran said. “So how has this world changed, how has social media and its effect changed? All of those things allow us to look at the world 12 years on as opposed to just redoing the story. None of us are interested in just redoing a story.”

Initially, Gossip Girl was a CW series. Its president, Mark Pedowitz, claimed at the Television Critics Association that talks were happening for potential reboot months ago but only if the trio — Safran, Savage, and Schwartz — signed on. And luckily, they did.

Gossip Girl originally aired for six seasons from 2007 to 2012 with 121 dramatic episodes that were based on the YA novel series by Cecily von Ziegesar. Quite significantly, the 5-year series launched the careers of Blake Lively, Leighton Meester, Penn Badgley, Chace Crawford, Ed Westwick, and Taylor Momsen.

At the moment, none of the original cast is announced to be on board, but based on previous interviews, super fans can at least hold out hope.

On July, Crawford told that he’s not opposing the idea. “I don’t know what it would look like with us being in our 30s now, but I always say, because it was such a big part of my life, I’m open to anything,” he told Digital Spy. “It would have to be really right, and really specific, and with TV and the golden age of the TV streaming service, maybe an eight-episode season.”

In May, Meester said that no one has ever seriously asked her to return to the iconic role of Blair Waldorf. “No one’s ever talked to me about it except for in interviews, and I always say the same: I never say never, so I don’t know. No one’s sent me that information,” she told E! News at the time. 

As for a looming new Gossip Girl, initially voiced by Kristen Bell, we’ll also have to find out. As she says in the show: “And who am I? That’s one secret I’ll never tell! You know you love me… XOXO, Gossip Girl.”

Continue Reading

Arts & Entertainment

Taika Waititi Confirmed To Direct Thor 4

Thor 4 is a go now that Taika Waititi is reported to take the helm as director again.

Published

on

Thor 4 | Source: ABS-CBN News

After the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s glorious end to Phase 3 with Avengers: Infinity War, details have been meek regarding the future of our beloved original Avengers cast. Fortunately, it is recently confirmed that Taika Waititi will be directing and writing the upcoming Thor 4 movie.

For quite a while, since Infinity War, the only thing sure about the original avengers was solely about the upcoming Black Widow movie that is set to be Natasha Romanoff’s (played by Scarlett Johansson) origin story. Additionally, the other sequels continuing are no-brainers like Black Panther 2, Doctor Strange 2, and Guardians of the Galaxy 3.

A fourth standalone Thor film was unheard of since MCU has never done it before with Robert Downey Jr.’s and Chris Evans’ portrayals of their MCU characters with only three standalone films each. Thor 4 will mark the first time any single character has gone that far. Now, with Waititi confirmed to return to the Thor franchise, fans can start looking forward to seeing Thor back in the big screen.

Significantly, Waititi was the director behind 2017’s Thor: Ragnarok, which was a blockbuster hit and saw great success by earning a whopping $854 million worldwide while critics’ raves put the movie at 93 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. The move also rejuvenated what had been a rare declining franchise performer for Marvel.

At the time, the two middling outings for the God of Thunder in Kenneth Branagh’s Thor and Alan Taylor’s Thor: The Dark World did not see the same high earnings as other avengers stand-alone films such as Iron Man and Captain America. It was only during Waititi’s take over of the franchise had it delivered the most well-received installment in Thor‘s solo series. 

Furthermore, Waititi was involved more than directing Thor: Ragnarok and even played a character called Korg, who was Thor‘s companion while being imprisoned in the garbage planet of Sakaar. Fans well-received Korg with his dumb wit and overall humorous character.

It would be a no-brainer to bring Waititi back in the Thor franchise and see Korg again in Thor 4. In other news, the golden hero of Asgaard, Thor, is presumably set to return to the franchise despite him saying in the past that he is done playing the character with the sole exception when there’s “another great script that comes along.”

How the untitled Thor 4 will pan out is still very much in the dark along with most of the movies slated in the MCU’s Phase 4. Particularly, the last time we saw Thor was in Avengers: Endgame, helping his fellow original members of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes defeat Thanos once and for all. The film ended with Thor and the Guardians of the Galaxy setting off on a quest to find Gamora, indicating Hemsworth’s character may appear in James Gunn’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 

Based on how Spider-Man: Far From Home closed the book on Phase 3, we can expect that Thor 4 will pick up after the events of Endgame. According to Screen Rant, “Thor 4 may be ready to hit theaters by 2021, or 2022 at the latest unless Marvel prioritizes other movies first – which is a possibility. It’s also unclear whether Thor 4 would take place before or after Guardians 3, depending on how soon after the events of Endgame that movie picks up.”

Fans, for now, will have to wait until the weekend during Marvel Studios’ 90-minute panel at the San Diego Comic Convention this weekend.

On the other hand, The Holywood Reporter said that with Waititi’s upcoming involvement in the Thor 4 movie, his work with Warner Brother’s long in development movie, Akira, will have to be pushed back.

Akira is Warner Brother’s supposed to be an adaptation from the Japanese Manga, which Waititi was also set to direct. It was penciled for a May 21, 2021 release with Waititi already on a worldwide search for its casting but got eventually delayed due to script-writing difficulties.

Now that Waititi’s two projects are brushing too close with another in shooting dates, the director is forced to take priority and Thor 4 will take Waititi’s number 1 spot.

Warners’ next step for Akira is unclear. Several sources have said that Warners is keen on keeping Waititi involved for the long-term and hopes to see him pick up Akira after Thor 4, THR says.

For 2019, we can expect Fox Searchlight’s Jojo Rabbit, from the direction of Waititi, which is a satire about a young boy whose mother houses a Jewish girl to hide her from Nazis. Waititi plays the boy’s imaginary friend, Adolf Hitler and is set to release on Oct. 18.

Continue Reading

Trending