Kitty Wells Death: Queen of Country Music Dies at 92 from Stroke

Kitty Wells Death Queen of Country Music

The Queen of Country Music died at the age of 92 after complications from a stroke. Kitty Wells will be mourned by strong female voices in country music. Kitty Wells died on Monday, July 16, 2012 at her home in Madison, Tennessee.

Loretta Lynn released a statement on her web site saying, “Kitty Wells will always be the greatest female country singer of all times. She was my hero. If I had never heard of Kitty Wells, I don’t think I would have been a singer myself. I wanted to sound just like her, but as far as I am concerned, no one will ever be as great as Kitty Wells. She truly is the Queen of Country Music.”

In 1976, Kitty Wells was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame. According to the Hall of Fame’s biography, “Kitty Wells was a 33-year-old wife and mother when her immortal recording of ‘It Wasn’t God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels’ suddenly made her a star. Other female country singers of her day were trying their hands at hard-living, honky-tonk songs, but it was the intense and piercing style of Kitty Wells, with her gospel-touched vocals and tearful restraint that resonated with country audiences of the time and broke the industry barriers for women.”

Kitty Wells was the first country female artist to sell a million copies of a record. She had 35 Billboard Top Ten records and 81 charted singles during her country recording career. She was famous for songs like “Your Wild Life’s Gonna Get You Down,” “Mommy for a Day,” “Will Your Lawyer Talk to God?” and “A Woman Half My Age.”

Country Music Hall of Fame member Jean Shepard said, “Without her there wouldn’t be a lot of us. I just hope that country music itself realizes what a wonderful lady she was and how much she’s going to be missed,” Shepard said in a phone interview with the Associated Press. “I know that people get old and they pass away, but I just always thought she was like my grandpa — she was always going to be around, always going to be here. But the Lord don’t see it that way.”

Barbara Mandrell said in a statement, “Kitty Wells was every female country music performer’s heroine. She led the way for all of us and I feel very grateful and honored to have known her. She was always the most gracious, kind and lovely person to be around.”

Johnnie Wright, her husband of more than 70 years, died last year. She is survived by a son and daughter, eight grandchildren, 12 great-grandchildren and five great-great-grandchildren.

Kitty Wells Obituary

Kitty Wells Death

About the Author

Jay Castillo
Environmentalist. Consumer Tech Journalist. Science Explorer. And, a dreamer. I've been contributing informative news content since 2010. Follow me on all socials!

16 Comments on "Kitty Wells Death: Queen of Country Music Dies at 92 from Stroke"

1. I am so glad that I was honored to have met Kitty twice in my life. She will be missed and she will always be the Queen of Country music. There will never be any one like her. rest in peace and God bless

2. michel lajeunesse | July 19, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Reply

Dear Miss Kitty, You were,you are , and always will be the Queen of country music.May you rest in peace,
    Love you.

3. what can i say…kitty was the best. she is to country music what elizabeth taylor is to films

4. Thomas Thompson | July 19, 2012 at 10:00 am | Reply

what can i say…kitty was the greatest. she is to country music what elizabeth taylor is to films

5. Yvette Cullop | July 18, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Reply

My mom also enjoyed her singing she was a favorite in our home. Now Kitty you can sing to my mom in heaven I know she will love listening to you again and you will make alot of people happy with your voice in heaven. RIP now and forever. From your family of fans from long ago to the present.

6. Yvette Cullop | July 18, 2012 at 7:55 pm | Reply

Kitty Wells was the best of the best. I grew up listening to her and find myself really missing her like she was family. I will continue to play her music for as long as I live. We will miss you Miss Kitty Wells.

7. Julie schwering | July 17, 2012 at 10:14 pm | Reply

Kitty covered 3 generations in my family, WHAT AN AWESOME talent, she will be greatly missed, Bless her family at this time

8. Rhonda Westberry | July 17, 2012 at 9:57 pm | Reply

Kitty, you are our queen of country music for a good reason! We love you and your singing. You will be missed. My mother has always been a fan or yours. She told me about you all my life. We listened to your songs tonight, while she reminisced to her younger days. I am so thankful we have your music to listen to any time we want. I know you will be singing in heaven. Thank you for your wonderful life! We love you!!!

9. What can I say just listen to her voice just BEAUTIFUL The true Queen Of Country Music She is to country music what Elizabeth Taylor is to films. Bless you Thomas

10. Benjamin Combs | July 17, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Reply

Ms. Kitty Wells was Truly the Queen of Country Music.

11. Jewel Atwood | July 17, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Reply

RIP Kitty…..I am so glad that I got to meet you…..your husband and son, Bobby on our Country Music Swing at Sea, Cruise……You will always be the greatest in my book….You will be so missed

12. RIP Kitty. You always were my hero. I still remember going to a concert to hear you and you sang “Thank you for the roses” for me. You took the time to talk with me and that meant so very much.

13. My mother and I just heard her singing “It Wasn’t God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels” on the radio last Sunday morning. My mother wouldn’t get out of the car to go to church until the song was finished! She reminisced about dancing with her sisters to the same song for hours in their bedroom. You should have seen the smile on my mother’s face. Kitty, you are a true ‘queen’ and we will all miss you.

14. You will be missed Kitty and so glad you have lived a long happy life.My mom really enjoyed your music and shows.Now you can sing to her in Heaven R.I.P.xo

15. My grandma says that she will be greatly missed by her , cause she grew up listening to her back in the 50’s.

16. brenda howard | July 17, 2012 at 11:12 am | Reply

u truly are the queen of country many have followed in ur footsteps r i p