God Bless the USA Banned by School Principal Greta Hawkins at Graduation

God Bless The USA Banned

By reading the headline you know what song was banned but can you guess what song was allowed in it’s replacement? It begins with a B and ends with an Er. If you guessed Justin Bieber you are probably just as stunned as us!

A principal at a school located in Coney Island named Greta Hawkins banned, “God Bless the USA” by Lee Greenwood because, “We don’t want to offend other cultures.” This quote was obtained by the NY Post on their exclusive story on this piece.

It all took place when graduating kindergarten students were rehearsing for their big day to take place on June 20th, 2012. The coordinated plan had been going on for several months and included five separate classes in the PS 90 Edna Cohen School.

When the final touches were being put on the peformance with the students rehearsing their singing of the song the principal came in and asked for the song to be turned off. The teachers putting on them performance and coordinating the graduation ceremony were told to remove the song from the event.

The New York Post got a statement from the Department of Education that Greta Hawkins felt the lyrics to the song were, “too grown up” for the kindergarten aged students. The story seemed to have changed to offending cultures to grown up lyrics. With everyone scratching their heads it was really hair raising when a different song was allowed instead of the patriotic song.

Justin Bieber’s “Baby” hit song was allowed in the graduation ceremony. While this song probably wouldn’t offend cultures it does seem to have some grown up issues in the lyrics. The lyrics of the Justin Bieber song read as follows:

You want my love, You want my heart
And we would never, ever, ever be apart
Are we an item? Girl quit playin’
We’re just friends, What are you sayin’?
Said there’s another as you look right in my eyes
My first love, broke my heart for the first time.

Parents and teachers are pretty confused by the whole thing. One teacher in charge of the song said that, “God Bless the USA” gave most kids goosebumps & teary-eyed feelings. This isn’t the first time that Ms. Hawkins has had issues with other teachers and the school district.

Ms. Hawkins was reprimanded by the Department of Education in 2010 after she called the school racist and was labeled a tyrant & bully by people working at the school. Ms. Hawkins told other staffers, “I’m black. Your previous principal was white and Jewish. More of us are coming.”

Not everyone disagrees with the principal however as we have found. One site called The SOP said, “God Bless the principal for not allowing the kindergartners to sing “God Bless the USA” at their graduation ceremony.” Apparently they feel that Lee Greenwood’s patriotic song is an insult to every nation on Earth.

We’re not afraid to let that song hang out in all it’s glory on Z6Mag. Enjoy Lee Greenwood’s song below:

God Bless the U.S.A. by Lee Greenwood

25 Comments on "God Bless the USA Banned by School Principal Greta Hawkins at Graduation"

1. Proud to be American | June 18, 2012 at 3:58 am | Reply

Hey Greta Hawkins…guess what? You’re offending cultures!

2. Infidel Task Force | June 14, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Reply

Its things like this that drive me crazy! How dare she! I want her to explain why an American Patriotic song cannot be played. Who the Hell does she think she is? Now is the time for ALL parents to join together and demand she rescind her decision or submit her resignation. This is what we at the ITF call….Silencing Americans Through Fear. And I can guarantee that NO minority ever spoke up and said they were offended.

3. This saddens me.
    They played this song on my first return home from an 8 month deployment and when we manned the rails, EVERYONE had tears in their eyes with this song…everyone of every color and creed and it wasn’t just the fact we were finally home…the words had meaning for us…we were there together and there were kids on the pier who have been to enough Homecomings where they know the words by heart.

This is the music our troops look forward to coming home to…not ‘Baby, Baby’….

When I was overseas- it was the flag that we held on to…sad that we are more patriotic in the warzone than in our own front yards.

4. Roseanne Carello | June 13, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Reply

This is ridiculous!

One of my fourth grade students brought this article in as a current event to share with the class. After reading the title and paraphrasing the article for us, I asked the students to weigh in and give their opinion. Not one of them agreed with the principal’s decision.

When asked why they didn’t agree, they voiced that it shows a disrespect to our country. They also felt that if 5 year olds could learn the lyrics to a Bieber song, they could crertainly learn the lyrics to “God Bless America”. Comparing the lyrics of both, we found the lyrics to the Bieber song far more inappropriate.

It saddens me to think that one principal has imposed her own agenda on a whole school of impressionable young people.

Sincerely,

Mrs.Carello & The Fourth Grade Class

5. Alan C Rohner | June 11, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Reply

Sean, Greta, Jennifer, Zerlinda, Bob, Justin, parents, and any other listeners:
    We ALL need to realize GOD gave His Son Jesus to the world, not just one
    nation. Each person MUST understand that it is up to each of us to decide or
    choose what we wish to do with the gift GOD has given us. We can do what
    our friends suggest, do what others say, or do what GOD says to do. It was
    HIS choice to give us HIS SON; it is our choice to be obedient to HIM(THEM);
    the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit.

6. FIRE HER!!! Nuf said!

7. I called the school this morning to talk to the Principal and the lady that answered the phone asked why I wanted to speak to her. I started to say why I was calling and she was so rude, said they didn;t have time for this and hung up the phone on me. They didn’t even want to discuss the crazy explanation. This wasn’t to NOT offend others. This was another black hating America principal for our American values and American soliders. UNION nembers, Radical hating UNION teachers. I wondder if the parents fought this? I sure hope so. The Government Schools havE got to go! They are taking away everything that is good for children and replacing with pure CRAZINESS!!!!!!

8. She has a right to her views, As an American I have the right to disagree. That is the wonderful thing about America. We should be proud of that fact, just like in the song. The lyrics say it all.
    Sing the song, Sing it LOUDLY. Once we stop singing and appreciating the meaning in those lyrics, we start losing inch by inch our freedom.

• Alan C Rohner | June 11, 2012 at 8:25 pm |

Thanks Cherie W; I don’t think people realize God gave His Son Jesus
      to and for the entire world; it is simply up to the individual to do as he
      wishes with this gift. Thank You Father.

9. God Bless The U.S.A. | June 11, 2012 at 10:33 am | Reply

GOD BLESS THE USA and every American regardless of their color, race, creed, gender, shape or size! Great Americans come in all varieties . Its the Un-Americans like this Traitor that we have to watch out for,they try to influence our children by teaching this sort of tripe! How many other countries change their way of life because they are afraid of offending outsiders!! If you want to live in this country honor its’ traditions or get out! NO MORE POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!!!!!! GOD BLESS AMERICA

10. white_n_proud | June 11, 2012 at 10:01 am | Reply

Why do so may n1ggrs just plain hate our country? You want culture, you friggin’ monkeys? Go back to Africa! And take the Head N1gger In Charge back with you!

• This isn’t a race issue and your vile words just hurt everyone especially those appalled by this principals actions. You should be ashamed, but of you can’t be due to your ignorance…oh before you call me names know that I am a conservative white male.

• Dude, you are one ignorant (read:STUPID) person. Although this is America and you have the right to say what you what, I also have the right to respond in the same manner, and I say your mama should of had that abortion.

11. This story is so far past pathetic that this a$$h0le pricipal needs to get in her Toyota or Nissan and drive her sorry a$$ out of out country and she should be banned from celebrating the fourth of July or any other patriotic holiday. You offended your own country men and women. This has nothing to do with her race as I see shallow minded people are going that route.

• I totally agree. That principle should be taken off the job. She’s not a true American.
      Yeah I can see her point but we were born here and we love our country.
      What’s next her banning the national anthem because she doesn’t like the lyrics.
      Tough cookies lady get over it, you’re an american. Go on get gone with your racist butt. Go bug someone else.
      I agree with JJ this has nothing to do with her race. She thinks that those lyrics are too grown up what about a 6 yr old singing “Low” by Flo Rida?
      Kids will eventually learn the difference and start asking questions.
      JJ is right, people are shallow if they wanna ban that song. It’s a song dedicated to the men and women of the armed services.
      Give it up let the kids sing it.

12. SCREW other cultures! What about the one you’re really offending. OURS! THE UNITED F*ING STATES OF AMERICA! Are you kidding?

13. “One teacher in charge of the song said that, “God Bless the USA” gave most kids goosebumps & teary-eyed feelings.”

Haha, what? Since when? Only kids who grow up with the mentality of “our country is the only good one and the only one that matters” are going to get choked up over such a patronizing pile of saccharine garbage.

It’s just not a good song. Most patriotic songs aren’t very good.

• God Bless The U.S.A. | June 11, 2012 at 10:17 am |

HEY 8xinfinity–What great songs has this a%*hole written . Suddenly he’s a song critic? You need to get out with the school teacher!!! we can help both of you leave the country if you need help!!!!!

14. James Arthur | June 11, 2012 at 1:00 am | Reply

Hey Greta is definitely correct. This song would surely offend other cultures. Most assurely it would not be welcome at the Obama’s church of choice for over 20 years.

Jeremiah Wright always said “God Darn (sp) the USofKKK!” Its a cultural thing! When you are as rabidly racist as ole Jeremiah you just naturally despise whites and of course any country that they might have founded!

15. Philip Schmitten | June 11, 2012 at 12:27 am | Reply

As a 21 year veteran of the United States Air Force and served in three conflicts, helping to protect the American way of life, I have to say this story makes me sick. That principal should be replaced and quickly.

16. This is absoultely appaling. What has happened to our country? It is just getting worse and I for one am sickened by this principal’s actions. This is America and the majority rules here. If I had a child going to this school I would protest loudly about this principal. She seems to think she can do and say anything because she is not white and that people would not dare to challenge her for fear of being called a racist. I challenge her and I am absulutely NOT RACIST! She should be removed as principal.

• She has a right to voice her opinion. My question is this: why didnt the parents and other teachers stand up for their right to allow this song at the event! If we dont stand up to these anti American people, our freedom will slowly erode.

17. Oh, another Obama type syncophant whose true religion if Black Liberation Theology just like Rev. Wright. You member, the pastor that the President and his wife listened to for 20 years and brought their children after they were born too? People like this should be fired and if they don;t like this country, move someplace else. I am sure the progs love her and decent, honest, hardworking folk don’t.

18. You have got to be kidding me!!! They are to young for the Star Spangled Banner, but old enough for a song about friends with benefits? My question is, if it was so that they would not offend offer cultures, she needs to remember the graduation is being held in the U.S. not another country.