Elton John was forced to cancel his Vegas shows after he checked into Cedars-Sinai Medical Center for extensive tests. The doctor’s recommended that Elton John take seven days of rest and antibiotics to “cure his respiratory infection and prevent any damage.”
A statement by his publicist, Fran Curtis said, “Elton developed a serious respiratory infection last weekend while performing at The Colosseum on Sunday, May 20, 2012. This week the condition worsened, even with medication and rest, resulting in Elton being hospitalised.”
He will miss the final four concerts scheduled at the Colosseum. Elton John and his band will leave Las Vegas for a summer tour in Europe, which will kick off June 1 in Germany. Elton John will return to Vegas for the remaining 11 concerts of his Million Dollar Piano residency at Caesars Palace in October.
Elton John said in a statement, “It feels strange not to be able to perform these Million Dollar Piano concerts at The Colosseum. I love performing this show and I will be thrilled when we return to The Colosseum in October to complete the 11 concerts soon to be scheduled. All I can say to the fans is sorry I can’t be with you. I hope to see you soon at this wonderful theatre at Caesars Palace.”
Elton John, 65-years old had to previously cancel two concerts in February, after he came down with food poisoning.
Earlier this week, he dedicated the song ‘Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me’ to Bee Gees singer Robin Gibb, who died recently. Elton John said, “The Bee Gees were part of my life when I was growing up; they were a huge influence on me as a songwriter. Travel well Robin – you were amazing. God bless you.”
Officials at Caesars Palace say tickets to the canceled shows could be exchanged or refunded.