Donald Trump is set to announce his support in the presidential race on Thursday, in Las Vegas, before the Nevada’s Republican caucuses on Saturday. It’s reported by the Associated Press that Donald Trump plans to endorse former House speaker Newt Gingrich. Then CNN is reporting that Donald Trump will be endorsing former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney.
So you may be asking, what is Donald Trumps real decision since no one is reporting the same. Gingrich campaign spokesman R.C. Hammond says, “Trump is the only person who knows what Trump will do.”
When Newt Gingrich was asked about the possible endorsement from Donald Trump on Wednesday, he responded with, “no idea what the Donald is going to do. He is always interesting and I don’t know of anybody who does a better job of getting attention by announcing that he will presently announce something.”
If it’s any clue, Donald Trump said on CBS’ “Face the Nation” this past Sunday, “He’s got great ideas. He’s very smart, he’s very tough and he is a great debater,” about Newt Gingrich.
Then again, when Mitt Romney met with Donald Trump in New York, Romney snuck out a different door than the one that the press was waiting for him at. Donald Trump told Fox News on Monday, “It’s a great thing when you can show that you’ve been successful and that you’ve made a lot of money and that you’ve employed a lot of people. I actually think it’s a positive and I think that actually Mitt Romney is starting to do that. You know, at first he was a little bit hesitant about it and now he’s out there. So I really think it’s a positive. I really want to endorse somebody and I’m going to be doing that over the not so distant future, and I’m going to be doing that, and if that person doesn’t win, you know, we’ll see what happens.”
Sources have said the announcement from Donald Trump would happen at a 12:30 p.m. press conference in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Trump Impose Higher Tariffs On Chinese Goods But Risk American Consumers In The Process
President Donald Trump announced last Thursday that the United States would impose a new 10% tariff on $300 billion worth of products imported from China, putting an end to the temporary ceasefire between the trade war of the two economic giants.
Earlier this month, President Trump indicated that he would not push through with imposing more tariffs over China after their meeting during the G20 Summit. In particular, the meeting transpired that both countries are willing to go over trade talks.
Earlier this week even, Trump took to Twitter indicating that the meeting with Chinese officials and the U.S. Trade Representative, Robert Lighthizer, and Treasury Secretary, Steve Mnuchin, was “constructive” when they traveled to Shanghai — furthermore saying that negotiations were scheduled to resume in September in Washington, D.C.
“When my people came home, they said, ‘We’re talking, we have another meeting in early September,’ ” Trump told reporters. “I said, ‘That’s fine, but in the meantime until such time as there’s a deal, we’ll be taxing them.’ “
However, a few days later, Trump announced that he would be imposing an additional 10% on the current tariffs on Chinese imports starting September 1, arguing that Beijing had broken some of the promises it made in trade negotiations.
Currently, there are an imposed 25% tariffs on $250 billion in Chinese imports.
Trump also argued that he was disappointed by the lack of progress in the talks, saying China had failed to follow through on promises to curb the sale of fentanyl and buy more products from U.S. farmers.
“My friend, President Xi, said that he would stop the sale of Fentanyl to the United States – this never happened, and many Americans continue to die!” Trump said in a tweet.
The new import taxes — which Trump later said could go “well beyond” 25% on a long list of goods — expected to significantly affect products such as smart-phones, laptop computers, and children’s clothing.
Surprisingly, the President ended on a positive note, saying, “We look forward to continuing our positive dialogue with China on a comprehensive Trade Deal, and feel that the future between our two countries will be a very bright one!”
Upon Trump’s announcement, major U.S. stock indexes fell about 1 percent, and the Dow Jones Industrial Average closed down 280 points, and oil prices tumbled nearly 8 percent.
Trump is insisting that the US will earn more due to higher tariffs for China goods, and will also pressure them to agree on terms regarding trade. However, industry groups said otherwise, indicating that the new tariffs will hurt businesses and fall on consumers.
“We are disappointed the administration is doubling-down on a flawed tariff strategy that is already slowing U.S. economic growth, creating uncertainty and discouraging investment,” David French, vice president of government relations at the National Retail Federation, said in a statement.
“These additional tariffs will only threaten U.S. jobs and raise costs for American families on everyday goods.”
Apart from the US companies suffering from tariff hikes, Chinese companies are also losing business since another logical workaround for paying the tariffs is to source materials outside China.
Apparently, Chinese exporters are not paying the tariff rates alone — U.S. importers also pay a fraction of that rate.
Tariffs are a tax on imported products and are paid by U.S.-registered firms to U.S. customs when goods enter the United States.
In turn, these U.S. imported pass added costs to consumers by raising their prices.
The U.S. retailers called Trump’s move as “another tax increase on American businesses and consumers.”
For example, the tariff costs have increased Caterpillar Inc’s production by $70 million in the last quarter. It expects to pay between $250 million and $350 million in tariffs this year. In response to higher manufacturing costs, the heavy equipment maker has increased prices.
Walmart Inc., the world’s largest retailer, and department store chain, Macy’s Inc., have warned of an increase in prices for shoppers due to higher tariffs on goods from China.
On Wednesday, the Federal Reserve cut interest rates for the first time since 2008 to help U.S. businesses adjust to the changes in global economies.
“Certainly, we’ve seen … that when there’s a sharp confrontation between two large economies, you can see effects on business confidence pretty quickly and on financial markets pretty quickly,” Fed Chairman Jerome Powell said in a news conference after the interest rate announcement.
Cybersecurity Directorate Is The NSA Cyber Frontier
The division’s first Director of Cybersecurity is Anne Neuberger.
The National Security Agency announced that they plan to establish a defense-minded and cybersecurity-focused division that centered on defending the U.S. against foreign cyber- threats.
The division which will be given the name Cybersecurity Directorate will conduct its first operation starting October this year. The young division will aid in the defense against foreign adversaries, right in time with the increasing election intrusion by foreign nations such as Russia as a strategy of an ongoing plot to undermine the West.
The division’s first Director of Cybersecurity, Anne Neuberger, will report directly to General Paul Nakasone, the NSA’s Director. Neuberger previously held positions as the NSA Chief Risk Officer; Deputy Director of Operations; and Lead of NSA’s Russia Small Group, an organization with joint collaboration between U.S. and NSA Cyber Command during 2018.
The NSA has been known for its efforts in developing and improving the cybersecurity arsenal of the U.S. According to NSA, “this new approach to cybersecurity will better position NSA to collaborate with key partners across the U.S. government like U.S. Cyber Command, Department of Homeland Security, and Federal Bureau of Investigation.”
“It will also enable us to share information with our customers better, so they are equipped to defend against the malicious cyber activity,” they added.
Nakasone announced the new cybersecurity directorate on an International Conference on July 23 at Fordham University. He said that “over the past couple years, as we did a number of different reorganizations, one of the things I think we lost was the emphasis on cybersecurity.”
Under the jurisdiction of President Donald Trump, the NSA has been working hard towards a more aggressive way to defend the state and its infrastructures against foreign adversaries such as China, Russia, Iran, and North Korea (CRINK).
Philip Ingram MBE, a former colonel in the British military intelligence, pointed out that the U.S. Cyber Command has existed for “quite some time” The unit has an attack and defense remit capability, he added.
Thee move forms part of a wider effort to more closely align the agency’s offensive and defensive operations. And it seems like the agency is also excited in announcing this new development in their structure. NSA tweeted, asking citizens to “start spreading the news,” as the agency “is operationalizing intelligence to secure the country.”
In the past months, it seems that NSA has been tearing up a page out of U.S. Cyber Command’s book by sharing information with the private sector. On Twitter and VirusTotal, there had been a series of sharing of malware samples by the U.S. Cyber Command.
With those alerts, the private sector was able to boost detection capabilities for possible or ongoing attacks from foreign threats. A US Cyber Command alert prompted that there will be a wave of assaults manipulated by Iranian Hackers and gripping Outlook vulnerabilities. This alert was a massive help since it was able to prevent a widespread loss on Outlook.
Cybersecurity Directorate new job will be on intelligence sharing and assessing vulnerability, a position that DHS has already been taking. How the two agencies will collaborate and will interact still remains a question to be seen as more details about the NSA’s new initiative surfaces.
However, some people do not agree with NSA’s idea of defense. As pointed out by Thornton-Trump, a cryptocurrency expert, having the military or the government organization take or even assume responsibility for the security of the public internet “might be a bit disconcerting for many folks.”
Thornton- Trump says: “it is a very difficult position to be in without appropriate governance and oversight which may not necessarily be in place given a new domestic mandate.”
“I think the NSA is caught inside a fiendish Venn diagram, with freedom on one side and security on the other,” he added. Last week, Attorney General William P. Barr defended the use of encryption backdoors- which most security experts agree that this step would be a colossal failure causing a major disaster.
It may be a two-sided battle between the NSA since they are torn between the security of the public internet and the freedom of the people to use it. Nevertheless, the NSA has been working effortlessly to provide a secure and safe internet for the public by means of increasing the defense against foreign attackers.
Democrats Eye Banning Facial Recognition In Public Housing
In landmark legislation to be proposed in the Congress this week, lawmakers move to ban the use of facial recognition systems in public housing, saying that facial recognition “does not belong in the home.”
The new proposed bill is expected to be submitted by Reps. Yvette Clarke, a Democrat from New York; Ayanna Pressley, a Democrat from Massachusetts; and Rashida Tlaib, a Democrat from Michigan, this week.
The “No Biometric Barriers to Housing Act” would prohibit public housing units who received funding from the Department of Housing and Urban Development from installing facial recognition technology, according to a person familiar with the proposed bill.
Aside from prohibiting landowners from installing invasive technology, the new proposed bill will also require the Department of Housing and Urban Development to submit annual reports on facial recognition and smart-home technologies that would include details on public housing units and the impact of these systems to tenants.
The growth of facial technology and smart home devices, while being applauded by the tech sector, has been criticized by multisectoral organizations for their violation of people’s privacy. The trend has seen more and more landowners installing invasive home technology in their properties, which advocates called for regulation.
Supporters of the technology have been firm in lobbying the benefits of smart home technologies and facial recognition in housing. They said that these systems help tenants feel safe in their homes and aid the landlords in protecting their tenants as well. However, this insistence is faced with challenges as privacy advocates rebut them with the right of people to privacy.
This is the first time that legislation is focused on protecting tenants from invasive and privacy-violating technologies. While the new proposed bill will only affect public housing and those that are funded by the HUD, it opens a conversation on how important it is to protect tenants from violations of their privacy.
More and more landlords install invasive technologies in their homes
The proposed bill comes two months after Brooklyn tenants filed a lawsuit against a landlord who insisted on installing facial recognition entry system. Around 350 tenants of the Atlantic Plaza Towers said that the facial recognition system was an “excessive invasion of privacy” and cited studies detailing that facial recognition systems are prone to racial bias. However, the building in question will not be affected by the bill proposed in Congress as it is not a public housing financed by the HUD.
“The ability to enter your home should not be conditioned on the surrender of your biometric data, particularly when the landlord’s collection, storage, and use of such data is untested and unregulated,” Samar Katnani, an attorney for Brooklyn Legal Services’ Tenant Rights Coalition representing the tenants, said in May.
This is not the first legislation that challenges the use of the facial recognition system. A few months ago, San Francisco became the first U.S. city to ban the use of facial recognition by the police and other government agencies. The move of San Francisco against facial recognition has been followed by other states like Oakland, California, and Somerville, Massachusetts.
Advocates have since been vocal in spreading the ban throughout the United States. Lawmakers cite the different academic and investigative reports that point out the inaccuracy of facial recognition, adding to that the recent government-sponsored study, saying facial recognition is more likely to mismatch black women.
Back in May, Sens. Roy Blunt, a Republican from Missouri, and Brian Schatz, a Democrat from Hawaii, put forward the Commercial Facial Recognition Privacy Act which prohibits businesses from using facial recognition technologies on their customers.
However, none of these existing laws and proposed bills can be used against landlords who insist on installing abusive technologies in their building amidst the resistance from their tenants who are concerned about their privacy.
According to a study, more than 20,000 homes in the last two years have been converted in smart-homes, complete with surveillance cameras and smart door locks.
Check What’s New:
- Kaspersky Antivirus zero-day could ironically allow hackers to track users
- Huawei warns Trump of disrupting the dominance of Apple, Google
- Hawaii space observatories reopen after weeks of shutting down
- ‘Vanda The God’ hacking group claims responsibility over massive healthcare website attacks
- Asteroid nearly hit Earth, and we barely noticed
- SpaceX Starhopper test launch delayed to August 21
- Rocket Lab postponed Electron launch
- The Tesla Roadster sent into space finally made its first orbit around the sun
- ‘Mahmee’ is a startup that wants to help new mothers through an app
- Complaints hurled at Telus after email services went down for 3 days
Arts & Entertainment2 months ago
‘Criminal Minds’ Season 15: A Tear-Jerking Finale Is Coming
Science2 months ago
Summer Penis Is Giving Men Big Dick Energy
Politics4 weeks ago
New Restrictions On SNAP Food Stamps Will Cut Off Millions Of Americans
Technology2 months ago
‘Uncall’ Promises To Remove Your Number From Generic Robocall Lists And Dark Web Databases
Technology1 month ago
Google Stops Trends Alerts In New Zealand Following Criticisms From NZ Government
Business1 month ago
Political Stand-Off: Chinese-Canadian Goods
Technology1 month ago
Bug Bounty Hunter Paid $30k For Discovering Instagram Vulnerability
Technology2 months ago
Cloud Service Provider, ‘PCM’ Fell Victim To A Data Breach Aimed To Collect Gift Cards