IBM (NYSE:IBM) is at it again as they are predicting the next technologies that will be scaled to mass adoption in the world in the next 5 years. These predictions come from a combination of social trends, market conditions & willingness of people to adopt these new technologies invented and mass-produced. Most importantly, the science breakthroughs and technology to produce and manufacture these innovations must be in place for these emerging technologies.
The 5 IBM Predictions for 2011 are:
1. Energy – You will be able to power your home with the energy you create yourself. Advances in renewable energy technology will allow individuals and scientists to collect this created energy and use it to help power our homes, workplaces and cities. The innovations will like in areas of energy like solar power & solar power plants, sustainable energy, heat energy, geothermal energy, wave energy and kinetic energy.
2. Security – You will never need a password again. Your biological makeup is the key to your individual identity, and soon, it will become the key to safeguarding it.
3. Mind Reading – Mind reading is no longer science fiction. IBM scientists are researching how to link your brain to your devices, such as a computer or a smartphone, so you just need to think about calling someone and it happens.
4. Mobile – The digital divide will cease to exist. In our global society, growth and wealth of economies are decided by the level of access to information. And in five years, the gap between information haves and have-nots will cease to exist due to the advent of mobile technology.
5. Analytics – Junk mail will become priority mail. In five years, unsolicited advertisements may feel so personalized and relevant it may seem spam is dead. Business analytics will revolutionize the way we communicate with marketing campaigns & receive offers, are you ready?
The whole IBM 5 in 5 prediction event started at an IBM convention that was called IBM Innovation Jam in the year 2006. The reason for the jumpstart of this campaign was to get the resources at IBM thinking about extremely large goals that could produce grand ideas and changes in society. An IBM Fellow named Bernard Meyerson said about the challenge, ” “If you give people a grand challenge you push them to really innovate. That’s when extraordinary things can happen.”
So far previous prediction by the IBM 5 in 5 initiative have come true and become useful scaled innovations in society. Previous predictions were:
- We will be able to access healthcare remotely from just about anywhere in the world.
- Technologies the size of a few atoms will address areas of environmental importance.
- You will have a crystal ball for your health.
- You will talk to the Web…and the Web will talk back.