In an interview on December 12th, 2011 with former U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney he tells CNN’s Erin Burnet “The right response would have been…to go in immediately after it had gone down and destroy it,” Cheney said. “I was told the president had three options on his desk. He rejected all of them.”
Cheney went on to say that the attack could have been done with an air strike. “You can do that from the air. You can do that with a quick air strike. And, in effect, make it impossible for them to benefit from having captured that drone.”
President Obama and Hilary Clinton have both come out stated they have requested the Iran return the crashed drone. The specific model of this technologically advanced drone is a US RQ-170 Sentinel stealth aircraft. The drone was patrolling over Iran’s city of Kashmar about 140 miles from the Afghanistan border.
Concerns have risen that the radar-evading technology could be transferred from Iran directly to the Chinese or Russians. In response to the request of Presiden’t Obama’s to return the spy drone to the US Cheney said in his interview, “He asked nicely for them to return it and they aren’t gonna do that.”
Iran has almost given it’s official response when it came out and said instead of giving back the US Drone they’ll be reverse engineering the technology and building their own. Iran plans to replicate and reproduce the US drone technology and use it against them. Parviz Sorouri from Iranian National Security was recently quoted by the Washington Post as saying, Iran will “soon” start to reproduce the drone after a process of reverse engineering, which is nearly finished. “In the near future, we will be able to mass-produce it. . . . Iranian engineers will soon build an aircraft superior to the American [drone] using reverse engineering,” Sorouri was quoted as saying.
- Iran to ‘reverse engineer’ US drone (telegraph.co.uk)
- Iran says it’s almost done decoding US drone (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Iran Almost Done Decoding U.S. Drone (time.com)
- Iran Says It’s Almost Done Decoding US Drone (abcnews.go.com)
- Iran to ‘reverse-engineer’ seized U.S. stealth drone after hacking operating system (news.nationalpost.com)
- SteVe C: Obama says U.S. has asked Iran to return drone aircraft – CNN.com (cnn.com)
- Iran ready to clone US drone (rt.com)