Two infant deaths in the United States have resulted in the recall of 1.7 million video baby monitors. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission issued the voluntary recall on Friday citing choking and strangulation hazards from the video monitor cords.
The recall is for Summer Infant Audio & Video monitors which were responsible for 2 of the 7 reported deaths due to cord strangulation since 2004.
In March of 2010 a 10-month old girl was strangled to death by the cord while in her crib. Later in November a 6-month old was strangled by the cord which was lying next to the changing table.
Summer Infant Inc., the manufacturer, is urging parents to read the instructions properly and never leave the cord within three feet of the baby.
The company is working on adding labels to the products that better clarify and warn consumers of the safety risks. This is a voluntary recall and no replacement products will be issued.
Visit the Summer Infant website for further information.