A new warning is out for parents with young children and who use single-load laundry pods. The child is mistaking this brightly colored pod for a piece of candy and is putting them at a poisoning risk by ingesting them. The water-soluble membrane around the laundry detergent pod dissolves when in contact with moisture leaving the child vomiting and being hospitalized.
Vomiting, coughing, choking, eye irritation or pain, and drowsiness or lethargy were the most commonly reported symptoms related to detergent pod exposure.
The poison control code also helped the agencies find and report that, in addition to pod content consumption from the children, eye, skin, and inhalation were found to be other common routes of pod and non-pod detergent poisoning.