Sony released the availability for their new SmartWatch in the United States today. The SmartWatch has been available in the UK for around a month.
The SmartWatch will be helpful for those who get tired of pulling their smartphone out of their pocket constently. Once you connect the SmartWatch to your Android via Bluetooth, you control functions through the 1.3-inch OLED display like a remote. You can read texts, emails, social media outlets as well as control music being played from your phone. With nearly 60 apps in the Google Play store for download.
Paul Hamnett, President and Head of Customer Unit, North America, Sony Mobile Communications said in a statement, “SmartWatch is the first of many Smart Extras that seamlessly connect and expand the smartphone’s reach and user experience. Designed to break free from the single screen experience, SmartWatch provides access to live content and entertainment on the go.”
Sony’s SmartWatch is dust proof and splash proof and when you buy the device, it will come with a standard black rubber wristband. There are five additional wristband colors available for purchase at $20 each. The SmartWatch can also be removed from the wristband and be attached elsewhere.
Sony SmartWatch Launches
Key Features of Sony Xperia™ SmartWatch:
- Dimensions: 1.42 X 1.42 X 0.3 in
- Weight: 0.55 oz
- Display: 1.3″ OLED display, 128 x 128 pixels
- Compatibility: Bluetooth™ 3.0 and Android™ 2.1 or above
- Connectivity: Standard USB charging
- Battery life: Up to 4 days
- Language support for: English, Spanish, French, Chinese (Traditional), Portuguese, Swedish, Russian, Danish, Polish, Japanese, Czech, German, Modern Greek, Dutch
- Notifications: Display notification or vibration
- Apps: All events (displays in chronological order), Messaging (SMS/MMS), corporate E-mail (for Sony™ and Sony Ericsson Android phones), Gmail (for all other Android smartphones) Calendar Notifications, Facebook™, Twitter™, Music Player, Call handling (call, mute, reject, or answer and send pre-defined SMS), Pre-defined SMS, e.g. missed calls – I’m busy, messaging – call me, email – ok, Battery strength, Find phone, and Weather widget. Plus lots of apps on Android™ market.
- Additional SmartWatch bands available in pink, white, mint, grey and blue
The Sony SmartWatch price is $149.99 and will be available on Sony’s website and stores, but other retailers will be announced soon.