Home » Business, Featured » Skechers Lawsuit on Shape Ups Agrees to Refund $50 million to Settlement on False Advertising

Skechers Refund

Skechers has agreed to pay $50 million to settle false advertising allegations about it’s Resistance Runner, Toners and Tone-up shoes by the Federal Trade Commission and the attorneys general of 44 states as well as the District of Columbia.

Advertisements from Skechers told consumers that they could “Get in Shape without Setting Foot in a Gym.”

Skechers Lawsuit

David Vladeck, director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection said in in a press release, “Skechers’ unfounded claims went beyond stronger and more toned muscles. The company even made claims about weight loss and cardiovascular health. Unfortunately, for the millions of people who bought Skechers toning shoes, the only thing that got a workout was their wallet.” He adds that the FTC wants advertisers to shape up. “The FTC’s message, for Skechers and other national advertisers, is to shape up your substantiation or tone down your claims.”

Most of the Skechers settlement money will be used to give refunds to consumers who paid $60 to $100 a pair for the Skechers Resistance Runner, Toners and Tone-up shoes.

On Wednesday, Skechers denied the federal government’s allegations and said the company had settled to “avoid protracted legal proceedings” and to save future legal costs.

Skechers will continue to make and sell the toning shoes. In a press release Michael Greenberg, president of Skechers said, “The Company fully stands behind its toning shoe products and technology and is permitted under the settlement to continue to advertise that wearing rocker-bottom shoes like Shape-ups can lead to increased leg muscle activation, increased calorie burn, improved posture and reduced back pain.”David Weinberg, the Skechers Chief Financial Officer said in a press release, “While we vigorously deny the allegations made in these legal proceedings and looked forward to vindicating these claims in court, Skechers could not ignore the exorbitant cost and endless distraction of several years spent defending multiple lawsuits in multiple courts across the country. This settlement will dispose once and for all of the regulatory and class action proceedings. While we believe we could have prevailed in each of these cases, to do so would have imposed an unreasonable burden on the Company regardless of the outcome.”

According to The Associated Press, Skechers will pay twice as much as Reebok International Ltd. to resolve similar FTC claims. Reebok agreed in September to pay $25 million to settle allegations that it falsely claimed its toning shoes strengthened muscles.

Find out more about applying for a refund at www.ftc.gov/skechers.

Skechers Lawsuit on Shape Ups

1. Pat Medford says:

Middle of both feet hurt from shoes. Here sets a pair of new shoes.

2. Denice Winchel says:

I purchased 4 pair in total. Now 1 year and a half later I suffer daily from walking at all. My right knee started bothering me 1st and then my ankle and hip. Becuse of the muscle imbalance I cant wear flats or even walk bare foot because its too painful.

3. maddie says:

i thought i was loosing weight since i started using it.Then few months after, i can’t seem to wear anything that is flat because my feet, specially my heel hurts so bad after walking a short distance, almost a year later, my right hip started hurting , so i stopped wearing my shape ups, the pain went away for a while but my feet and my heels still can’t tolerate wearing something flat.

4. Maritza Mayorga says:

The shoes are a disaster!! My back hurts!!!! Bad choice!!!! INstead of losing weight i gained weight thinking i can lose it with these shoes!!!

5. Maritza Mayorga says:

6. Karen says:

Every since I have had my shape-ups; I have only gained lower back pain and swollen legs and feet. I wore them to school (6mo) thinking they would help me lose weight and strengthen my back and stomach muscles because that is what the product claims to do.
    I am a medical assistant not a doctor but I will say this… I Never saw vericose veins in my legs until I started wearing those shoes. My legs and feet did not swell and feel tired until I wore the shoes. I don’t wear them anymore.. I will add that $120.00 (on sale I might add) is still too much for this product.

7. Connie Glinsmann says:

I wear my Sketchers at work for 8 hours and walk 9 miles in them. I work on slippery floors and feel safe. I lost 65 pounds last year and dearly LOVE the shoes. They are the most comfortable shoes I’ve EVER worn~! I wasted $450 at the foot doctor. He did me NO GOOD. When I put on the Sketcher’s Shape Ups…..I instantly had my ankles, knees, hips and back feel so much BETTER~!!!! How anyone could sue against these shoes BLOWS MY MND. Sketcher’s Shape Ups are the BEST SHOES I’ve EVER WORN. I LOVE THEM SINCERELY!!!!!

8. CHRISTY PORTER says:

I have a pair of sketchers shape up shoes and can only wear them for about an hour before my back is killing me.

• Maritza Mayorga says:

same here i thought, but now my back is killing me, my feet get cramps, & i gained weight.