Home » Featured, Recreation » Plane Crash Kills Jose Wejebe, Spanish Fly Fishing Show Host on Outdoor Channel

Plane Crash Kills Jose Wejebe, Spanish Fly Fishing Show Host on Outdoor Channel

Jose Webe Plane Crash

The Outdoor Channel lost one of it’s show host from Spanish Fly fishing, Jose Wejebe. Jose Wejebe died in a plane crash on Friday when he departed Everglades Airpark (X01) airport in Collier County, Florida just before 5 PM, the single-engine experimental aircraft stalled just after takeoff.

Jose Wejebe was 54-years old and was flying a single-engine experimental turboprop-powered Comp Air 8 SF, with tail number N548SF, kit aircraft manufactured by Comp Air of Florida. A witness says they saw him takeoff, but the wind shifted and they believe he got caught in the crosswind and the plane started to come down nose first. When the aircraft hit the ground, it exploded and killed the TV host, Jose Wejebe.

Jose Wejebe received his private pilot certificate with airplane single engine land privileges in 2004. He also had a 3rd class medical certificate that was received in February 2011.

An NTSB investigator is investigating the crash and looking at three factors: man, machine and environment, in an attempt to determine what might be the cause of the crash. The aircraft manufacturer is also assisting in the investigation of Jose Wejebe’s plane crash.

The Outdoor Channel released a statement on Friday, April 6, 2012 stating, “It is with great sorrow and a heavy heart as we mourn the loss of an important member of the Outdoor Channel family tonight. Spanish Fly host and angling icon Captain Jose Wejebe died earlier this evening in a tragic small aircraft accident in Collier County, Florida. Details are still coming in at this late hour, but the entire Outdoor Channel familiy is shocked, saddened and stunned. Our prayers go out to the family of Captain Jose Wejebe.”

The Wejebe family put out a statement saying, “We would like to invite all family and friends to a Celebration of Life in honor of Jose Wejebe, Sunday April 15, 2012 at 1:30 PM at the International Game Fish Association Museum (IGFA) in Dania, Beach Florida. All those who were touched by Jose are welcome to attend.”

Jose Wejebe Spanish Fly Fishing

1. [...] Plane Crash Kills Jose Wejebe, Spanish Fly Fishing Show Host on Outdoor Channel Chilling Video of Boeing 747-400 Cargo Plane Crash in Afghanistan Alaska Heat Wave: Unusual Record Breaking Temperatures they aren’t Used To Two Alaska Volcanoes are Placed on High Alert Due to Possible Eruption [...]

2. Steve Daniels says:

Never met him but when someone does anything with the joy and honest emotion he exhibited on his show you get a feel for the man. I watched him since the show started. The only fishing show I watch. Selfishly…i’ll miss the show but i know that pales in comparison to the void his passing leaves his friends and his family.
    God bless and rest in peace brother.

3. Keith says:

A great loss to the angling community and the young people with ilness that he helped improve their life.

As a serious angler I found him inspiring and willing to share his knowledge he will be truly be missed. I live my life as he did, to the fullest!

4. Steve Fowler says:

Descanse en paz, hermano.

5. I will surely miss him. I record and watch all of his shows. I invited him to come to Guam, now I am glad he never came, as the sorrow would be too much! You were the best!

6. Brian Muller says:

Jose was the reason I got into saltwater fly fishing. I met and spent time with him at the Denver Fly Fishing Trade show several years ago. I feel like I have just lost my brother. My sympathy goes out to his family and the many who have gained so much from sharing his experiences and watching his show. He has left a legacy that will always be remembered.

7. Rafael Paredes says:

A GREAT person, he will be deeply missed.

8. Donna Airey says:

My husband is an avid fisherman so he watches all of the shows. I have to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed watching Jose Wejebe who was so enthusiastic and knowledgable about his craft. I especially enjoyed the programs that featured his daughter too. They appeared to have a wonderful relationship.

Words of comfort seem so small at a time like this. He truly embraced his life and we are all richer for having shared in it, even in such a small way.

He will be greatly missed and our thoughts and prayers go to his family in this difficult time.

9. Michael Dugger says:

A horrible loss! I am an early riser, especially on Sunday mornings due to my anticipation to watch Jose. Now we know we have a genuine sole looking out for us fellow fishernman and outdoorsman and women. Adios brother!!!!!!

10. Bobbie Moss says:

I met him in Orlando at a fishing show…. I had a few questions I wanted to ask and he graciously gave me the answers. It was like talking to a friend, not a celebrity. He will be
    missed and my heartfelt condolences go out to his family.

11. Scott Spainhower says:

Jose you will be missed by ALL of us that shared the same passion for the sport of fishing and conservation for it’s well being. We prayer for your family in this time of reflection.

12. Danny Robbins says:

The outdoor world lost a true ambassador! We will forever miss you Jose!! Prayers to the family in this very sad and difficult time!!!