With 2012 almost in the books, it was once again about that time of year to announce the nomination for one of the most popular award shows in the world, the Grammy Awards.
Nominations for the 55th annual Grammy Awards were officially revealed over the weekend, and the countdown to the February 10, 2013 show has now began. Before we get into some of the categories and artist up for varies awards, let’s take a short look back at how the Grammy Awards have blossomed into the phenomenon it is today.
It all started back in May of 1957 when a group of music industry executives met in Hollywood to discuss the creation of a Record Award Society.¬†This new organization would be dedicated to improving the quality of life and cultural condition for music and its makers, and the award was not originally called “The Grammy” but rather “The Gramophone”.
The original name only lasted for a couple months though as a press conference was held in June of the same year that announced¬†the formation of the “National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences”. They also changed the award name to the Grammy; the rest is history according to Squidoo.
When the first Grammy awards were presented, there were only 28 categories an artist could win from, fast forward to present day and there are currently over 80 different categories artist can win from. That just shows you how much music has changed over the years, and how much talent has been spotted all throughout the United States over the past few decades.
When it comes to the actual Grammy award, there is an interesting process that occurs.¬†The Grammy trophies are created in pieces then assembled and finished in gold plating at Billings Artworks in Ridgeway, Colorado which is the hometown of the trophy creator John Billings. Also, the award you see the artist holding when they win is actually a fake, during the Grammy Awards presentations stunt trophies are used. The real ones remain at Billings’ studio until after the winning announcements are made. Billings then engraves each trophy with the winners name and category won and then makes about a 2,000 mile round trip to personally deliver the Grammys to the Academy in Hollywood.
Here are just a few Categories and nominees up for grabs for that prestigious award.
Record of the Year
- Taylor Swift: ¬†We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together
- Kelly Clarkson: ¬†Stronger(What doesn’t Kill You)
- Frank Ocean: ¬†Thinking Bout You
- Gotye Featuring Kimbra: ¬†Somebody I Used to know
- The Black Keys: ¬†Lonely Boy
- Fun. featuring Janelle Mon√°e: ¬†We Are Young
- Frank Ocean
- Hunter Hayes
- The Lumineers
- Alabama Shakes
- Katy Perry: Wide Awake
- Rihanna: Where Have You Been
- Carly Rae Jepsen: Call Me Maybe
- Adele: Set Fire To The Rain
- Kelly Clarkson: Stronger
- Maroon 5 & Wiz Khalifa: Payphone
- Lmfao: Sexy And I Know It
- Gotye Featuring Kimbra:¬†Somebody That I Used To Know
- Fun. featuring Janelle Mon√°e:¬†We Are Young
- Florence & the Machine:¬†Shake It Out
- Bruce Springsteen:¬†Wrecking Ball
- Coldplay:¬†Mylo Xyloto
- The Black Keys:¬†El Camino
- Muse:¬†The 2nd Law
- Jack White:¬†Blunderbuss
- R. Kelly: Write Me Back
- Tyrese: Open Invitation
- Anthony Hamilton:¬†Back To Love
- Tamia:¬†Beautiful Surprise
- Robert Glasper Experiment:¬†Black Radio
- Drake: Take Care
- Nas: Life Is Good
- Rick Ross: God Forgives, I Don’t
- 2 Chainz: Based On A T.r.u Story
- The Roots:¬†Undun
- Lupe Fiasco:¬†Food & Liquor II
- Zac Brown Band:¬†Uncaged
- The Time Jumpers: “The Time Jumpers”
- Hunter Hayes: “Hunter Hayes”
- Miranda Lambert:¬†Four The Record
- Jamey Johnson:¬†Living For A Song: A Tribute To Hank Cochran
If you would like to view the full list of categories and competing artist, make sure to check out GRAMMY.
Grammys Nominations 2013 Revealed
Nominations for the 55th Grammy awards were announced during an hour-long concert!
2013 Grammy Awards Nominees
CMA Awards 2012 Winner List: Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert Big Night with Big Wins
Full List of Oscar Nominations 2012 for the 84th Academy Awards on February 26
Emmy Nominations 2012 List & History Released July 19th, 2012
SAG Awards Winners 2012